Holiday Shopping And Driving Safety Tips To Avoid Car Accidents, Robberies And Assaults
These days, millions of American consumers are flooding shopping malls all across the nation in an effort to find the best Christmas presents for their family members and friends (or themselves). That means Americans have to drive lots of miles to get to their favorite shopping mall, even if it means driving to a mall in another state.
What many do not realize is that you are at a higher risk of getting into a car accident when in search of the perfect Christmas gift for every family member and friend on your shopping list.
“That’s because American consumers who drive to and from shopping malls during the holiday season are more prone to high levels of stress and are more likely to speed or get distracted behind the wheel (after all, you need to be constantly in a hurry to buy the Christmas presents before they are out of stock, and you constantly need to cross things out from your shopping list),” explains our Miami car accident lawyer at Dante Law Firm, P.A.
Holiday shopping and driving safety tips
Florida is home to one of the largest shopping malls in the country – Sawgrass Mills, Ft. Lauderdale, FL – which means there are more hazards than anywhere else during the holidays. That’s why Floridians should be extra careful when driving to and from Sawgrass Mills this holiday season. After all, you would not want to spend the rest of the holiday season bed-ridden in a hospital, would you?
Our car accident lawyer in Miami has outlined holiday shopping and driving safety tips for you to stay safe when buying gifts for your loved ones and friends this festive season:
- During the holiday season, it is nearly impossible to find an empty spot in a shopping mall’s parking lot, which is why many Americans have no choice but to park their cars far away from their destination. If that’s the case, park as close as possible to the shopping mall and make sure you are parking in a well-lit area (theft and assaults during the holidays are just as common as car crashes);
- Close all windows and lock all doors before leaving your car in a parking lot;
- For your own safety, shop with a family member or friend (you are less likely to be assaulted or robbed in a parking lot when you are with someone);
- Consider asking a security guard to escort you to your car, especially if you have purchased expensive gifts;
- Speaking of expensive gifts… Keep your most expensive purchases for the end of your shopping frenzy in the shopping mall, as this will allow you to quickly get into your car and go home safely;
- Do not walk through a parking lot alone if there are suspicious people in the area;
- When driving through a parking lot, watch out for opening doors and shoppers jumping out in front of your vehicle;
- Avoid texting, talking on the phone and otherwise getting distracted when operating your vehicle;
- Make sure you travel at a speed below the legally allowable limit (we get it, you are in a hurry, and so is everyone else during the holidays, which is why speeding increases your risk of crash tenfold if both you and the other driver travel at a speed above the limit); and
- Refrain from drinking before or during your trip to or from a shopping mall, as drunk driving is one of the leading causes of car accidents during the holiday season.
If you have been injured in a car crash during the holidays, do not hesitate to schedule a free consultation with our Miami car accident lawyer from Dante Law Firm, P.A. Call our offices at (305) 949-2526.